Recent Posts

My 'Big Day Out' .... at Concord Hospital.

A couple of you might remember my excitement for the 2010 Big Day Out.

I only have one word to describe what should have been a fun, free spirited, musically enriching event: disaster.


I won't go into hectic detailing here but to cut a long story short, I fainted within 45 MINUTES OF ARRIVING. I didn't get to see any bands, definitely not Lily Allen, but spent most of the day in hospital recieving stitches on my skull. (You really don't want to know what sort of a state my cream crocheted vest was in)

Just to clarify- I wasn't under the influence of alcohol and certainly not drugs. The doctor who treated me diagnosed it as a faint from the heat. It was around 45 degrees celsius (around 113 degrees fahrenheit) that day and I wasn't the only one who suffered heat exhaustion.

This article says that 180 people had been treated for dehydration but just six of us lucky ones were taken to hospital.

All in all though it was an amazing day, judging by the average Facebook status update. I also heard that Lily Allen absolutely went off.

~

On a serious note though, if you're planning to go to any festivals this Summer; make sure you keep your fluids up. I drank a whole bottle of water in the 1/2 hour leading up to my collapse, obviously that wasn't enough. Have a good breakfast, drink lots of fluids and wear a hat.

Take it from someone who has stitches in the back of their head :P

11 comments:

Tara said...

Aw honey I'm so sorry! I went to Southbound a while ago and even though it was nowhere near as hot there were sooo many people going to the emergency tents. It sucks that you had to miss what you really wanted to see though :( hope you feel better soon!
p.s My verification word was 'pouts' which is what I am now doing on your behalf :P

Stacey said...

Hope you're ok now! That would have sucked. :(

Joanne Faith said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that. ): I've fainted at a concert before and had to be dragged out from my sweet place up the front. It was Panic! At The Disco, haha.

Jess said...

:( That's awful, I hope you're feeling better.

Kez said...

That sucks! What did you fall on? Sounds like a nasty injury!!
Hope you're all healed up soon x

Death Wears Diamond Jewellery said...

oh no you poor thing! i almost fainted on Friday at BDO, i sat out in the stands, in the shade for over an hour, it was horrific. i dont handle the heat well at all. i also spent more money on bottled water than alcohol.

Five Foot Nothing said...

You poor thing! Hope you get plenty of rest.

I'll definitely keep your tips in mind when I go to BDO next year.

Liz.. said...

oh sorry alex :( I was there too and just walking out into the sun felt like you literally had no oxygen to breath.

Vita said...

haha for one moment I thought.....

Belinda said...

Did you by any chance faint near a coke stand? Cos I saw a girl with a cream vest that had turned red from blood. Was it you?!

Alex. said...

YES! Hahahah, that was me!
Oh gosh, if you see this comment, can you email me at stockingsneededmending@live.com ha ha, I need to fill in a few of the blanks here.
Thanks heaps :) x